The birth story summary

(Placed here for safe keeping until I get around to blogging the longer version)

  • Blood pressure creeping upwards through weeks 36 and 37
  • 12/7–  24-hour urine collection to check fro pre-eclampsia
  • 12/10– OB calls Monday night while we’re shopping in WalMart– I have pre-eclampsia and we are inducing at 4:00 the next morning
  • 12/11– 7:00 AM Pitocin is started. Instructions are given to increase the dosage every hour.
  • 10:30 AM water is broken so that an internal monitor can be placed on the baby. I am dilated to 2.
  • Sometime later (Noonish?) the monitor is dislodged and has to be reinserted. Nurse nicks the placenta with reinsertion.
  • 4pm-ish Epidural is given so that I can be put on a catheter, rather than getting out of bed to potty and potentially causing the monitor to dislodge again.
  • A little later, my left side is VERY numb. Not so much on the right. Dr. says it’s just the way that it went in and that there’s not a lot that can be done. Pushing the pain control button, just makes the left side more numb.
  • 7:30 PM Night nurse comes in and realizes that pitocin has only been increased twice for the entire day shift. The schedule is now to increase it every 30 minutes. I am dilated to 3.
  • Pitocin briefly increases contractions with each raise, but then my body adjusts and contractions level off again.
  • I am given until 10:00pm to begin dilating again, or else I’ll have to have a c-section.
  • At 9:30 I’ve dilated to 5.
  • Temp check at around 10:30 shows a fever of 100.3.
  • By midnight I’ve dilated to 8.
  • Somewhere in here, I start to shiver uncontrolably. For 3 hours. Nurse says it’s a reaction to the pain. Shivering goes away with a blanket.
  • By 2:00AM, I’m a 9.5.
  • 2:30 AM, nurse calls in another nurse to manually push back my cervix from the baby’s head. Baby’s heartbeat starts to be a little irregular.
  • 3:00 AM and I’m ready to push. Another temp check shows my fever has increased. I can’t push until I have two different antibiotics administered.
  • 4:00 AM I can finally start pushing. Temp has continued to rise, and I am burning up. I feel like I can’t breathe and I’m so so so very hot. This will be a theme for the next 3.5 hours.
  • 4:30AM-6:30AM Pushing, pushing, pushing. 3-4 pushes with every contraction. Contractions are about 2 minutes apart. I’m so exhausted that I actually fall asleep and start snoring in between the contractions. Somewhere in here my epidural is cut off so that I can push more effectively.
  • 6:30AM Nurse makes it clear that we need to start making good progress NOW. Baby is showing more distress, and there is concern over my temperature and the fact that my water has been ruptured for so long (infection). More pushing, and baby’s head makes a couple of brief appearances.
  • 7:00AM The day nurse comes in and informs the night nurse that I need to be prepped for my “section”. I am very confused as to why there is talk of a c-section when the baby is already almost delivered. Too tired to voice the concerns. The two nurses argue about whether I need or will be getting a c-section. Day nurse leaves, night nurse pointedly says to Stan, “I will be staying with you until this baby is delivered. I don’t care how long it takes”. Nurse also makes it clear that the baby needs to be crowning before the doctor gets into the delivery room, so we push.
  • 7:10AM Baby is crowning, doctor arrives, sees that the baby is almost here, and calls in her enterage for the delivery. Anisthesiologist turns epidural back on.
  • More pushing. The doctor and I both think of vacuum extraction at the same time– I’m just too tired and the baby needs to come Out Now.
  • 7:25 (or so) vaccuum is hooked to baby, and after two more sets of contractions…
  • 7:31 Seth is born!
  • Baby is grunting, not crying, so he is quickly cleaned up and taken to the nursery for further assessment (to see if he needs oxygen, and whatnot). One fabulous nurse brings him to me to see him before he is whisked away.
  • Placenta doesn’t deliver properly, so doctor has to go in and manual remove it, and then do a partial D&C. This is NOT pleasant. Doctor is visibly concerned.
  • Luckily I don’t hemmorhage. Final tally is one level 2 cut and a long tear all the way up the birth canal. Epidural has kicked in, which makes stitching nearly painless.
  • While I am recovering, Stan comes in to tell me that Seth has low blood sugar and that they are having to give him formula, since I am in no condition to try and feed him. (This would make the birth plan a total loss, LOL, as literally nothing went as we would have preferred).

24 hours of labor, 3.5 hours of hard pushing, internal monitoring, vacuum extraction, placenta won’t deliver, partial D&C… I’m very thankful that I managed to dodge the hemorrhaging complication.


4 Responses to “The birth story summary”

  1. journeytowardchild Says:

    From what I learned, birth plans are just wishes and best case scenarios. At least you didn’t have to deal with a c section and best of all, baby is here!! Congrats 🙂

  2. One of the post-partum nurses said that they call birth plans, “Tickets to the OR”, because they never ever work out, lol!

  3. Wow, Nyk!!! So much to process!! I am so grateful that the end result was you and Seth HEALTHY. Love you!!

  4. so glad u and the baby r ok! i liked how you wrote out the event of your labor too =)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: