Archive for NTS

20w 3d– Half Way!!

Posted in Pregnancy Symptoms, Pregnant with tags , , , , , , , , , on August 14, 2012 by Me

Wow, I’ve really been neglecting this blog… I blame the baby. He’s been eating all of my creativity :p

First, we have decided on a name for the Spawn: Seth Alexander Leonidas.

Second– Holy Crap, I’m half way!!

I’m still having issues with low blood pressure/blood sugar, but I’m figuring out how to preemptively strike to avoid the spectacular crashes that I was having. Added to the mix is Pubic Symphysis Separation, also known as “broken crotch” on the December 2012 boards on babycenter.com (by the way Google Image “pubic symphysis separation” at your own risk– the pictures are pretty horrific!). Which means that, unless I’m sitting in what I now refer to as “an approved pelvic position”, my pubic bone feels like someone has been kicking it (which I guess someone has… lol). I’m talking to the OB next week about getting a prescription for a custom support belt, which will hopefully help. Sleeping with this issue has become a huge challenge, but thankfully, a fabulous friend is sending me her pregnancy pillow this week, so hopefully that will help! Otherwise, things are good. Given my age and my size there are TONS worse things that I could be dealing with, and I am incredibly grateful that things are progressing as nicely as they are.

Today’s ultrasound went well. Seth has everything in the right place and right proportions. He is still measuring almost two weeks ahead (1lb 1oz today!), so they are going to be watching that carefully so that he doesn’t get too big. We are still hoping for a 12/21/12 birth, because that would be cool. I’ve also hit the point in the pregnancy where I will be seeing the perinatal doc every two weeks. Well, not her for the next few appointments because she’s due next week–in the meantime, I’ll be seeing her associate who is also fabulous. In a month, we’ll be seeing the pediatric cardiologist to make sure that everything is ok, because of that worrisome Nucal Scan. Things looked perfect on the ultrasound, but she wants to be sure, and I’m ok with that 🙂

The baby registry is almost finished, so we’ll be sharing the link soooooon! I hate shopping, so I’ve had to do it in small steps, but we’re almost there. Yay!

Hopefully I’ll be better about keeping you all updated! Thanks for your good thoughts, support and interest 🙂

Advertisements

11w 3d– Nuchal Translucency Scan (NTS)

Posted in Emotions, Genetic Screening, Pregnant with tags , , , , , , , , , on June 12, 2012 by Me

So today was the first visit with the Perinatal Specialist (because of my age). I had another ultrasound done, as well as the  nuchal translucency scan (NTS). This scan helps detect the risk of genetic and heart abnormalities. We also met with a genetic counselor to talk about the risks of genetic abnormalities– for a woman my age, my child has a 1/17 (5.8%) chance of having a genetic problem. That’s a really scary number. Although an optimist would tell me that it’s a 94.2% chance of NOTHING being wrong…

The good news– the baby was super active and appears to be developing normally (actually measuring at 12w).

The not-as-good-news– the nuchal fold measured at 3.0 mm, which is on the cusp of normal (according to the Dr. normal is under 3.0 and abnormal is over 3.0). This means that the baby could be at increased risk for a chromosomal defect (such as Down’s Syndrome) or a congenital heart defect. That being said, 9 out of 10 babies with a nuchal fold of less than 3.5mm are perfectly normal. The only way to be sure is to do either a Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) or an Amniocentesis, both of which have their associated risks. Although the CVS can be done sooner (the amnio can’t be done until 16 weeks), it has a  higher risk of miscarriage (1/100 vs 1/1000), and doesn’t give you as much information as the amnio does. We’ve decided on the amnio, and the test is scheduled for 7/17. It takes about two weeks to get the results back after the procedure is done.

Also– my blood pressure was up to 142/82 from 107/71 a month ago. Granted, they took the reading AFTER I was given the above information, and it took the machine 5-6 tries before the machine was able to get an accurate reading. The Dr. isn’t worried about it, since it was one anomalous reading, but of course it’s something else for me to worry about. Stress levels have been high here, given that Stan’s last day of work was last week, and nothing else has come to fruition yet. I’m really praying that my family is going to come through with the help we need to get us through the summer, until he is teaching again.

I am trying hard not to stress about the whole NTS thing. Of course I’ve been scanning the internet and trying to make it give me information that it has no way of knowing. I just desperately want this baby to be healthy (who doesn’t!?) and it is so scary to think that there might be something wrong. And to know that I can’t find out anything more about it for another 5 WEEKS, or actually 7 weeks, since we have to wait two additional weeks for the test results. So, in the meantime I have to go on as if everything is ok, and try not to worry. Awesome. So all of your good thoughts and prayers are appreciated…

The nice thing is that my specialist is also pregnant and AMA (Advanced Maternal Age), and she had an NTS reading of 2.8, and everything turned out fine.

Next week is my 12 week appointment with my regular OB– Saturday is 12 weeks, so I will attempt to enter this next trimester cautiously optimistic.